Las Cruces Police are hoping to identify a man suspected of using false identifications to commit a week-long crime spree in which he fraudulently purchased three vehicles and merchandise totaling nearly $90,000.
The man is suspected of using a fabricated driver’s licenses and bogus financial information that identified himself as “Derek Duane Mullner” and “Jason Meek” to commit several crimes:
- June 5: Using the “Mullner” ID, he obtained a loan and purchased a 2016 Harley Davidson motorcycle worth $27,000 from Barnett Harley Davidson in Las Cruces.
- June 6: Using the “Mullner” ID, he wrote a bogus $69 check at Toucan Market.
- June 9: Using the “Meek” ID, he obtained credit and purchased $3,888 worth of merchandise from Best Buy.
- June 10: Using the “Meek” ID, he obtained a loan and purchased a 2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited worth $52,000 from Jack Key Chrysler-Jeep in Las Cruces.
- June 11: Using the “Meek” ID, he purchased a 2000 Nissan Frontier worth $5,000 from Jack Key Nissan.
In all, the suspect obtained $87,957 worth of merchandise using the bogus identifications. On June 11, a different man but most likely working in conjunction with the first suspect, used the “Jason Meek” ID but was unsuccessful in attempting to purchase a motorcycle from Barnett Harley Davidson.
Las Cruces Crime Stoppers is offering a $1,000 reward for information that helps identify the suspects.
The primary suspect was described as white or Hispanic with short brown hair. He is believed to be 5-feet-7-inches to 5-feet-10-inches tall with an armband tattoo on his left bicep and tattoos on the exterior of both calves. The second suspect is believed to be white and balding. He is possibly 6-feet tall and weighs approximately 200 pounds.
Anyone with information that can help identify either of the suspects, or anyone who knows the whereabouts of the illegally-obtained vehicles, is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or send a tip by text message to CRIMES (274637), keyword LCTIPS. The Crime Stoppers number and text messaging services are operational 24 hours a day and you do not have to give your name to collect a reward.